Monday, June 8, 2009

mise-à-jour

It's been too long.  There are several subjects/themes I have been meaning to write about for some time floating around in my head, but have not taken the time.  And now we are well into the summer, and I am finally taking the time to write something.  But before I do, I just want to do a little update, so that there is at least some continuity going on....

So it happened.  I finally graduated from BYU!!!!  I quite literally thought it wasn't going to happen, but it all worked out.  I found my last year there particularly difficult, what with Prop 8, a run-in with the beloved Honor Code Office, and mounting anxiety and paranoia about being there.  I spent a lot of my mental time there repeating the rosary prayer, "I don't belong here. I don't belong here."  And guess what?!?!  I felt like I didn't belong and I wanted out even more.  I swore I was going to leave BYU with some kind of anxiety disorder.  My trust in others was essentially hit by a nuclear bomb when I was reported to the HCO, and even though nothing happened, the paranoia, bitterness, and feeling of separateness only increased, until I couldn't stand it anymore.  It numbed the nostalgic feelings I would probably have had, and all I wanted was to graduate and get my diploma.  

That is why I am so grateful I participated in the commencement exercises.  I hadn't anticipated BYU graduation to be such an uplifting, healing, and emotional experience for me.  Yet I found myself moved when I sat in the Marriot Center with my fellow graduates, and I felt a stir of pride as my degree was conferred upon me.  Over the days of commencement and convocation, the bitterness, anger, and distance I had felt for months were eroded away, and I was left with a sense of gratitude for the education I received at BYU, and pride for the achievements and contributions I made while there.  As I sat there, I thought, "You know, I do belong here.  I have made meaningful contribution to the school as well as the education of the students here.  I have every right to possess this diploma, and I am actually proud to do so."  Ultimately, I feel that though BYU may not think so, my life will reflect the values and standards of excellence that it promotes.  I do believe in the saying, "Enter to learn, go forth to serve," and I hope that my personal and professional life can be reflections of the wisdom contained in it.

The way I frame my BYU experience, at least for now, is similar to the way I frame my mission.  It was a cherished experience that was very difficult at times that I would never do again.  And though I might disagree with certain policies and practices at BYU, I can say that I love the school, and that 95% of my happy memories from the last four years are tied to BYU.

But that doesn't mean I wasn't excited to leave, and even more thrilled to receive my diploma in the mail a month ago.  Physical possession of the diploma, to me, symbolized complete emancipation and freedom from retribution.  Essentially, I felt that once I got my diploma in hand, my education and professional future were no longer contingent upon my lifestyle choices, and that I was no longer bound to a moral code I no longer believe in.  And all I can say is that since I got my diploma my life has expanded and developed in wonderful ways (which will be detailed in other posts).  Basically, I moved out of my parents' house into an apartment in Salt Lake with two other gay guys, and I have been soaking up life with many of the people who are dearest to me.  I feel like I am in a secure, centered place spiritually, physically, relationally, and emotionally.  Basically--life is good. 

2 comments:

Caitlin Carroll said...

Good for you love. I'm sorry that BYU caused anguish as well as joy, but I know the feeling :) Glad you made it through alive. Will you still be in Salt Lake the beginning of August? Would love to see you before you run off to Colorado.

Unknown said...

I've always thought I'd just skip graduation, but maybe I'll give it a second thought.