Monday, March 16, 2009

Saint Patrick's Day




Last summer, we discovered that Samantha, one of the stray cats who had adopted my family, had given birth to a kitten.  He was born under some boards next to the building we call the pad, so we named him Paddy (which we decided was also short for Patrick).  We watched him grow and though he was initially afraid of us, we were able to get to the point where we could pet him and play with him.  He had such a cute, playful personality.  My mom especially adored him, and she build Paddy and his mom a little shelter next to our front door for the winter.  Both were outdoor cats, and they were content to play in our yard and catch birds and mice or whatever else they could find.  

Tonight, my mom told me that on Saturday night Paddy didn't come around when she called before bed.  The next morning our neighbor called to say that there was a cat in the middle of the road.  My mom knew it was Paddy, and so she and my dad went to get him, and they buried him a couple feet from the place where he was born.  Mom told me she planted a flower over his grave today too.

I was sad to hear the news, but in the few hours since hearing the news, I have been tearful and just a little bit sad.  It might be because I have had a lot of emotion in the past couple months but haven't been able to release it until now, but it has felt so good to cry tonight.  I guess Paddy's death has once again reminded me that life is so precious and so easily lost.  I have seen Paddy's whole life, and to me it is a reminder that whether we live for 9 months, 9 years, or 90 years, we will all die.  Though I have worked through a lot of my feelings toward death and mortality, I guess there will always be pain when I lose someone I care about and love, even if it is a pet.  Funny how animals can touch us so deeply that we cry over them when they pass away.  Of course I'm more of a softie than most.  

So on this Saint Patrick's Day, I will be remembering my Patrick, the adorable kitten who was with us only a brief time, but who brought much joy and amusement to my family.

    

No comments: