Monday, October 12, 2009

it's been a while

and I keep thinking I need to write some grand and glorious post about something terribly, terribly important.  But that isn't the point.  I have to remind myself of the beauty of simple, perhaps banal thoughts that I might want to share, since I so often enjoy the simple, sometimes banal thoughts of others.  I also hate update posts, but this might become one.

I feel like I'm in a whirlwind of experiences.  There are so many things to think about and so many things going on...it begins to seem daunting.  Let me be more specific:  I have been living in Colorado for two months now, and so much has already happened.  The simple answer to "How is Colorado?" is that I love my classmates, my classes (except statistics, but even that's going better), my roommates, my house, Fort Collins, the weather here, and Colorado State University. I have been impressed by the people I'm meeting, and the experiences I'm having.  I'm just starting the first step of a long road....but I still feel it is the right road, and I will stay on it.

In summer 2008, I had a couple experiences where I felt very strongly that I needed to pursue a PhD in Counseling Psychology.  I attribute those experience to divine guidance, and so I applied to programs, waited for responses, and ultimately ended up here, at CSU.  Now that I have been here for a couple months, I have begun evaluating again, to see if I am indeed where I still need to be.  And last week I had another confirming experience, perhaps less spiritual, but reassuring nonetheless.  I feel like this is a good program, and that Fort Collins is a place where I will be able to put down some roots, at least for the next few years.  This past weekend, I had a conversation where I began to convey my passion for psychology and my excitement at being on the path to my dream career, and it felt so so good.  I wouldn't want to do anything else, and I am so grateful that I have this opportunity to advance in my education and professional development.

Recent experiences have caused me to reflect on some themes or unresolved issues that I want to explore, some of which I may do on here, or perhaps in personal therapy.  But it helps to know and really feel that I am right where I need to be in my life, and that I am still going in the right direction. 

No comments: