Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Great Divorce-Westy Style


I have been in Colorado two days and I already have Colorado plates on my car.

Abrupt, you might say.  Sudden.  Rash.  But it's all part of my plan to become a Colorado resident (mostly for tuition purposes).  I met with the Financial Services office today and they laid out all the hoops I have to jump through to be recognized as a resident, which involves forming ties to Colorado and severing ties with my ex-state.  Sorry Utah, you were good to me for so many years, but I must move on.

So far, I love Fort Collins.  It's a beautiful city.  There are bicyclists everywhere, along with sprawling parks, trees every few feet, quaint neighborhoods, and the Rocky Mountains hovering in the distance.  I visited CSU's campus today and was quite impressed.  Being used to BYU, I thought I would be disappointed in another university, but so far I have been nothing but amazed and delighted.  It actually does remind me somewhat of BYU's layout, except there is about twice as much green space.  Everyone who helped me today was not only courteous but friendly and helpful.  That goes for CSU employees as well as the people at the sheriff's office, the county court offices, and the DMV.  

This is by far the calmest evening I've had since my arrival.  The first evening I went to a PFLAG ice cream social that a friend invited me to.  It was a wonderful experience because the focus was on finding ways to help the local Fort Collins religious community become more understanding and welcoming to its GLBT members.  Fourteen churches were represented, and each shared its intra-congregational struggles and brainstormed ways to move forward.  Mostly, it was touching to see parents who say with teary eyes, "I love my children--straight or gay."  

Last night I went out with my roommates (two really beautiful girls, one from Denver and one from Portland).  We ate at a lovely sushi restaurant, then strolled around Old Town, the city center with all the bars, boutiques, and restaurants.  After that--well, let's just say we got some champagne and it all went to our heads.  

I did, however, have a moment of feeling lonely today.  I had called and texted some friends, but with no response, and was feeling a bit daunted by the mass of paperwork I need to compile.  So what did I do?  I called my mommy.  She empathized and encouraged as she does best, and I felt better.  Of course it's normal to have moments like that during a significant transition, and so I just sit with my feelings and experience them as worthy expressions of the love for what I left behind.  There are certainly people here who will become some of my dearest friends, and I look forward to putting down roots here in Fort Collins.  My mom compared me today to a plant that has been transplanted, and I'm still feeling the shock but will eventually feel just as secure and grounded as I did in Utah.  These things simply take time.

As a friend told me yesterday, "Utah's loss is Colorado's gain."  I will always think of Utah as my home, but it does feel liberating and refreshing to break away from what I have known to settle in a new place.  So far I feel this new place welcoming me and inspiring me to continue with my personal and professional goals.  As long as I stay true to what is inside me, I don't believe it really matters where I call my home.  

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I love you Weston!