Wednesday, January 14, 2009

SAD


Over the past five years, I have noticed a pattern:  about the end of December or beginning of January, I begin feeling apathetic, depressed, irritable, and just not myself.  By the end of February or March, I feel cheery and "normal" again.  However, it was only last year when I became aware of the pattern, and though I somewhat anticipated it returning again this winter, I was hoping I could stave it off with exercise, sleep, and a healthy diet.  Well...not so lucky.  I took a look at the most common symptoms of seasonal affective disorder, and I found several that apply (and that recur every year, around this time):

  • a change in appetite (somewhat)
  • weight gain (i wish)
  • a drop in energy level (yep)
  • fatigue (yep)
  • a tendency to oversleep (somewhat)
  • difficulty concentrating (yep)
  • irritability and anxiety (yep, much to my chagrin)
  • increase sensitivity to social rejection (yep)
  • avoidance of social situations and loss of interest in the activities you used to enjoy (yep, it sucks)
I don't really know what the point of my writing this is; I suppose I just want to state that I have this problem, and I need to figure out the best way of going about it.  I just don't feel like myself right now, and I feel more frustrated than anything that my brain chemistry gets screwed up at times when I really have so much good in my life.  Well, this isn't meant to be a pity party, but if anyone has some Prozac to spare, send it over. 

2 comments:

Erik said...

When I went tanning in Provo, they had posters explaining how tanning can help combat SAD. You should give it a try. Maybe all you need is a little sunshine :P (err.. UV rays) Or you could just come down here where it's 80 degrees and sunny for days.

lia said...

oh weston, love. i think we need to converse about this more thoroughly. all this endless gray - it's getting to me, as well.

let's watch more satc tomorrow?